Dakshinamnaya Sri Sharada Peethadhipati Jagadguru Shankaracharya Sri Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswamiji has announced His Shishya Sweekara. The Jagadguru Mahaswamiji made the announcement, divinely inspired by Goddess Sharadamba in His Anugraha Bhashanam given during the culmination of the Silver Jubilee Celebrations of His Peetharohanam. The Jagadguru has chosen Brahmachari Kuppa Venkateshwara Prasada Sharma to be His Uttaradhikari – the successor-designate to the Dakshinamnaya Sri Sharada Peetham. The Jagadguru announced that the Shishya Sweekara ceremonies will take place on 22nd and 23rd January 2015 at Sringeri. The Jagadguru will initiate the Brahmachari into Sannyasa on 23rd January 2015.
Devotees all over the world have rejoiced at the announcement coming on the joyous occasion of the Silver Jubilee Celebrations of the Jagadguru’s Peetharohanam.
The present Jagadguru Shankaracharya Sri Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswamiji, ascended the Throne of Transcendental wisdom at the Dakshinamnaya Sri Sharada Peetham, 25 years ago in 1989 and since then has been guiding thousands of devotees in the path of Dharma.
To commemorate the silver jubilee year of His accession to the Peetham, special functions along with Guru Vandanam are being conducted on the 3rd and 4th of January 2015 at Sri Math, Sringeri.
Uttaraadhikaari Kuppu Venkatesha Prasada Sharma (pic: AP News)
Left to right: Kuppa Venkateshwara prasada sharma with his parents Seeta naga lakshmi and Siva Subramanya Avadhani (pic: Deccan Chronicle)
Sri Bharati Thirtha Mahaswamigalu (in the background, is that the successor Sri Kuppa Venkatesha Prasad Sharma?!) (pic: The New Indian Express)
Sri Kuppa Venkateswara Prasada Sharma. (Photo: Sringeri Mutt website)
The Hindu reports:
Bharati Tirtha Swami of Sringeri Sharada Peetha has nominated Kuppa Venkateswara Prasada Sharma as his successor-designate. The seer announced this at a function in Sringeri recently.
The Shishya Sweekara ceremony will be held in Sringeri on January 22 and 23. Sharma will be initiated to ‘sanyasa’ on the second day.
Sharma was born in Tirupati in 1993 to Kuppa Shivasubrahmanya Avadhani and Seetha Nagalakshmi. At present, Sharma is the principal of TTD Veda Pathashala in Tirumala and project officer in Dharma Prachara Parishad of TTD. During his visit to Sringeri mutt in 2009, he had expressed his desire to study ‘shastras’ directly under Bharati Tirtha Swami.
Under his tutelage, he mastered Sanskrit and studied Tarka Shastra, said a release.
During his pravachana this evening, our poojya Jagadguru announced that he has, by the grace and approval of Goddess Sri Sharadamba, identified his successor and announced the successor’s name as Sri Kuppa Venkatesha Prasad Sharma (25 years). Sri Bharati Tirtha Mahaswamji told that he was training his successor for the past 5-6 years. The Shishya Sweekara Parigraha kaaryakrama (to continue the Guru-Shishya Paramapare started by Sri Adi Shankaracharya) will be held on January 22nd and 23rd, 2015 at the Sri Math, Sringeri.
More pics (courtesy: Sringeri Mutt website)
Pics courtesy: Sringeri Mutt website, Bhakti TV, Sri Sankara TV
shruti smriti purANAnAm Alayam karuNAlayam
namAmi bhagavat pAda shankaram lOkashankaram
shankaram shankarAchAryam kEshavam bAdarAyaNam
sUtrabhAshya kritou vandE bhagavantau punah punah
Blessed is the Sishya ! Divine is the anugraha of Thaaye Sharadambe! Fortunate are we to witness this ceremony, the continuation of the great Guru-Sisya parampare!
List of Sringeri Dakshinamnaya Jagadgurus:
- Sri Shankara Bhagavatpada (788 – 820) (videha-mukti)
- Sri Sureshwaracharya (820-834)
- Sri Nityabodaghana (834-848)
- Sri Jnanaghana (848-910)
- Sri Jnanotthma (910-954 )
- Sri Jnanagiri (954-1038)
- Sri Simhagiri (1038-1098 )
- Sri Ishwara Tirtha (1098-1146)
- Sri Nrusimha Tirtha (1146-1229 )
- Sri Vidya Shankara Tirtha (1229-1333)
- Sri Bharati Krishna Tirtha (1333-1380)
- Sri Vidyaranya (1380-1386 )
- Sri Chandrasekhara Bharati I (1386-1389 )
- Sri Nrusimha Bharati I (1389-1408 )
- Sri Purushotthama Bharati I](1408-1448 )
- Sri Shankara Bharati (1448-1455 )
- Sri Chandrasekhara Bharati II (1455-1464 )
- Sri Nrusimha Bharati II (1464-1479 )
- Sri Purushotthama Bharati II (1479-1517 )
- Sri Ramachandra Bharati (1517-1560 )
- Sri Nrusimha Bharati III (1560-1573 )
- Sri Nrusimha Bharati IV (1573-1576 )
- Sri Nrusimha Bharati V (1576-1600 )
- Sri Abhinava Nrusimha Bharati (1600-1623 )
- Sri Sacchidananda Bharati I (1623-1663 )
- Sri Nrusimha Bharati VI (1663-1706 )
- Sri Sacchidananda Bharati II (1706-1741 )
- Sri Abhinava Sacchidananda Bharati I (1741-1767)
- Sri Nrusimha Bharati VII (1767-1770)
- Sri Sacchidananda Bharati III (1770-1814)
- Sri Abhinava Sacchidananda Bharati II (1814-1817 )
- Sri Nrusimha Bharati VIII (1817-1879 )
- Sri Sacchidananda Shivabhinava Nrusimha Bharati (1879-1912 )
- Sri Chandrasekhara Bharati III (1912-1954 )
- Sri Abhinava Vidyatirtha (1954-1989 )
- Sri Bharati Tirtha (1989-Present)
- Sri Vidhushekhara Bharati (Nominated Next)